The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) includes rules on giving privacy information to anyone using our online services. Further information about your rights under GDPR can be found at www.ico.org.uk
This site is provided and supported by Medicinechest Ltd for UK Pharmacia.
You can contact our DPO by wiriting to Medicinechest Ltd, St. Mary's Court, The Broadway, Amersham, Buckinghamshire. HP7 0UT
- UK Pharmacia, Medicinechest Ltd and HI Weldrick Ltd take your privacy and data protection very seriously.
- Registration on this site is only requested if either online shopping or online nhs repeat prescription ordering is enabled on the site and used by you.
Medicinechest Ltd is your Data Processor for the purposes of providing the services available on this site - nhs online repeat prescription ordering and online appointment booking, the registered user information database.
- Where enabled our online retail sales are processed and filled on our behalf by HI Weldrick Ltd
- HI Weldrick Ltd is your Data Controller for the purposes of processing your online retail orders where shopping is available on website.
- Medcinechest Ltd and HI Weldrick Ltd privacy policies are available here and here.
- Your personal information is stored encrypted on servers in the UK and the EEA. Medicinechest Ltd may at times process or transfer your personal information outside the UK (and possibly to places outside the European Economic Area) to deliver site and app services, for example to process email and push notification updates. Medicinechest Ltd shall take reasonable steps to ensure that any transfer of your personal information to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area, whose laws may provide for a lesser standard of protection for your personal information than that provided under European law, shall have adequate protection (such as model contractual arrangements as approved by the EU).
- We will otherwise never pass, sell or share your personally identifiable data to third parties except when legally required to do so or when you have specifically given us consent to do so.
You may review, edit, or soft delete your information at any time. ( UK Pharmacia and HI Weldrick Ltd are obliged to keep some data for certain periods of time for the purposes of patient safety, professional pharmacy regulations and NHS record keep and business processing and Medicinechest Ltd may also have to retain your data for those purposes only.)
- If you use the online shopping facility you will receive email updates on your order.
- If you use the online nhs repeat prescription facility on this site you will receive email updates on your prescription request and automated email reminders if you request them. If you use the MyPrescriptions mobile app for Android or IOS, in addition to email updates and reminders, you will receive push notification updates on your request and push notification re-order reminders.
- Every effort has been made to make sure our databases are secure. Your information can only be accessed by UK Pharmacia and trusted HI Weldrick Ltd and Medicinechest Ltd staff and IT contractors. Occasionally, information may be viewed by trusted third parties such as Doctors and IT personnel for the purpose of improving this site.
- The site and app, our servers and third party service providers wherever they are based, have appropriate technical and organisational measures in place to protect against unauthorised or unlawful use of your personal information as well as the accidental loss, destruction or damage of your personal information whilst under our control.
- However, no data transmission over the internet can ever be guaranteed to be 100% secure and whilst we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk.
- Your Community Pharmacist may use the information you supply to help in improving your wellbeing by informing your health decisions through advice, diagnostic testing and the management of chronic conditions. The information you supply here is important and will help UK Pharmacia, HI Weldrick Ltd and Medicinechest Ltd understand your health needs better and improve the service given to you.With your permission only, UK Pharmacia, Medicinechest Ltd and HI Weldrick Ltd may in future use this information to:
- Update you with information on services relevant to you provided by UK Pharmacia and the NHS.
- Update you with relevant pharmacy and general health, diet and wellbeing retail offers
- Update you with any public health alerts, drug recalls and changes in treatment advice and also information relevant to your condition(s)
- Medicinechest Ltd and UK Pharmacia may disclose depersonalised data (such as aggregated statistics) in order to describe sales, prescription demand, customers, traffic patterns and other site information to prospective partners, suppliers, medical researchers, sponsors, investors and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes, but these statistics will include no personally identifying information.
- Medicinechest Ltd may disclose depersonalised aggregated data to third parties in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets.
- Medicinechest Ltd may disclose your personal data if all or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by us about our customers may be one of the transferred assets.
- Under certain circumstances we may occasionally be required by law, court order or governmental authority to disclose certain types of personal information and we reserve the right to comply with any such legally binding request. Examples of the type of situation where this would occur would be:
- the administration of justice
- where we have to defend ourselves legally
- complying with the mandatory requirements of a government department collecting information
- to protect or defend the rights or property of Medicinechest Ltd or users of our services.
Who's in control of your information?
Collecting information about you
?Information we get from you
We collect personal information about you whenever you shop with us or use our services. Some of it is information you give us directly when, for example, you place an order on website, have a prescription dispensed in one of our pharmacies. Other information is collected indirectly.
Information we collect online: Cookies
We also use 'Pixels', or 'Transparent GIF files', to help manage our online advertising. These are files provided by our advertising management partner, DoubleClick, that can recognise a unique Cookie we have placed on your web browser. This in turn helps us learn which advertisements are most effective at bringing users to our website. The information collected in this way is anonymous, and does not contain any information that identifies you personally.
More information about DoubleClick.
Making our website work:
These Cookies are essential so that you can move around the site and login to the secure areas. Without them you would be unable to shop on the website or access your account.
Monitoring and improving the performance of the website:
These Cookies collect information about how visitors use our site, eg which pages they visit most often and whether they see error messages. The information is combined so it does not identify individuals, and we use it only to help us improve the way the website works.
Enabling the features of the website:
These Cookies allow our website to remember choices you have made, such as your user name or the region you are in, and help us provide you with a better, more personal experience. For example, they may allow you to watch a video clip, comment on a blog or add a product review.
Marketing and advertising:
These Cookies are used to deliver adverts that are more relevant to you as well as to limit the number of times you see a particular advertisement and to measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. The Cookies remember that you have visited a website and this information may then be shared with other organisations for advertising purposes. They're also used to enable price-comparison sites to work.
What are 'Flash Cookies' (or 'local shared objects')?
Our website uses Adobe Flash Player to deliver video content and interactive product images. Flash Cookies are stored on your device in a similar way to other types of Cookie, but they're managed differently by your browser.
If you wish to disable or delete Flash Cookies, you can do this through Adobe Flash Player security settings, but please note that you may then be unable to view certain types of information and content on our website.
A list of the Cookies we use
For a list of the Cookies that may be stored on your computer when you visit our website, and why we use them, see our frequently asked questions. From time to time we may make changes to this list as we add or remove features from our website.
Restricting or blocking Cookies
If you'd still prefer to restrict, block or delete Cookies from any website, it's easy to do in your internet browser. Each browser is different, so you'll need to go to the 'help' menu on your browser and look for how to change your 'Cookie preferences'.
Your privacy and shared computers
If you login to our website from a shared computer, such as in an internet cafe or from a colleague's computer at work, Cookies may cause your email address to display in the login field to anyone who uses the site on that computer after you. You can avoid this by clearing the Cookies stored by the web browser. The option to do this is normally in the 'Tools' dropdown menu at the top of the browser window.
Information we obtain from other sources
From external companies
From time to time we may supplement the information we hold about you with data from other commercially-available sources like the electoral roll and companies that collate and update data. This helps us keep our records up to date and learn more about our customers so we can continue to improve our products and services.
Occasionally, for marketing purposes, we may obtain lists of potential customers from external companies. We will only deal with reputable companies that take privacy and data protection as seriously as we do, and we will always let you choose not to receive further marketing material from us.
Information about your health
When you use our services, some of the information we collect may be about your health and include data from NHS bodies such as your GP or hospital. We understand the sensitivity of this information and will only use it to provide you with these services and fulfil our legal obligations to the NHS or similar bodies.
If you have told us that it's fine to send you marketing, we may send you offers on healthcare products you sometimes buy. We will never use information about your prescriptions for marketing, although we may use it to let you know about services we provide that might be useful and relevant to you. These services are voluntary but if you choose to use them we will need to ask you some health-related questions in order to fulfil our contractual obligations with the NHS. The information you give us will only be shared with the relevant NHS bodies and we won't use it for any other purpose.
Online pharmacy services
If you purchase Pharmacy medicines from our online clinics, we will ask you some questions about your health to help us check that the medicine you are buying is suitable for you. This information is held securely on our systems and used only for processing your order. We won't use it for any other purpose.
Similarly, if you use our Prescription Dispensing and Delivery Service, we will ask you to give us some health-related information online. This information is held securely on our Pharmacy system to allow Pharmacy staff to check your prescription history and medical conditions, ensuring you receive the best possible service from us.
We may contact you by email about your online clinic order or prescription so please ensure that you're happy with the security and privacy of the email account you use in connection with this. Please note that if you send an email directly to our Pharmacy Service from your own email account, its contents will not be encrypted and therefore cannot be guaranteed to be secure.
Information provided by other people on your behalf
If someone books an appointment on your behalf we will ask them for basic details about you, which may include health details such as whether you have a family history of diabetes or glaucoma. This is to ensure we book you in for the right type and length of appointment with the correct healthcare professional. Of course, we'll check with you when you come to your appointment to make sure the information we've been given is accurate.
If you're booking an appointment for someone else, please make sure they are happy for you to provide this personal information on their behalf and that they understand why we need to ask for it.
How we use your personal information
Providing our products and services
We use your personal information to provide our products and services, respond to queries and comments and provide you with the best possible level of customer service. We may use it to contact you about orders you have placed, appointments you have booked or to send you reminders (eg about repeat prescriptions or when your next eye test or flu vaccination is due). We may also contact you in emergency situations such as an urgent product recall or where we have a duty of care to notify you of information that relates to your health.
Marketing and advertising
We may analyse your personal information, including the products you view and buy, your browsing habits and other ways you interact with us, to evaluate the effectiveness of our advertising and to help us provide more relevant offers, advice and information. Rest assured, however, that we will only send you marketing material if you've agreed that we can and that we will never use sensitive information about your health in this way. (See 'Information about your health' above for more details about how we obtain and use health-related information).
You can change your mind about receiving marketing material from us at any time by contacting us. Please be aware that, as our marketing campaigns are prepared well in advance, you may still receive material by post for up to 2 months, and by email or text for up to 28 days, after updating your preferences.
You can also opt in or out of receiving our e-newsletters on a variety of health-related topics, as well as 'weekly offers' emails by visiting our online preference centre. Alternatively you can click on the link at the bottom of any email we have sent you to opt out on that particular type of email.
Crime prevention and detection
To protect our customers, our staff and our business, we may use your personal data to help prevent and detect crime. We use CCTV to record images in our stores, and when you place an order on our website we carry out identity verification and fraud prevention checks, validating the personal information you give against appropriate third party databases. This may involve disclosing information to a Credit Reference Agency, which will keep a record of that information and may pass it to the police.
If you require access to CCTV footage (for example, if you are the victim of a crime that takes place on our premises), you should write to us.
We will ask you to provide proof of your identity, the date and approximate time of the incident you wish to view and as much detail as you can to help us locate the correct footage, and we may make a small charge. We will do our best to help, but there are situations in which we may be unable to make CCTV footage available to you, such as where the incident occurred some time ago or if we believe that allowing you to view it would breach someone else's privacy.
As a Pharmacy-based retailer, research is vital to our business. Occasionally, we contact customers who meet a particular set of criteria, including health-related factors, to invite them to take part in clinical research. The research may be carried out by external companies acting on our behalf but we will never pass your personal information to them unless we have your consent to do so.
Similarly, we may invite you to take part in market research activities such as customer surveys, questionnaires or focus groups. Again, we will never pass your personal information to external companies for this purpose without your consent.
Companies that provide services on our behalf
We share your personal information with companies that provide services on our behalf, such as printers, couriers, mailing houses, manufacturers and suppliers. We always ensure these companies give your information the same level of care and security as we do.
Sharing with the NHS
We share information with NHS bodies to fulfil our legal obligations as a provider of Pharmacy, or where we have a duty of care to do so.
If you choose to have one of the NHS services provided in our pharmacies, such as a Medicines Use Review, we will ask you for health-related information which is needed to fulfil our contractual obligations to the NHS. We share this information only with NHS bodies and will not use it in any other way, although we may use your contact details to send you reminders about any follow-up appointments.
We may share your personal information with third parties where required or permitted by law, if we believe we need to do so to protect our rights, or to comply with legal proceedings. In such cases, we will always do so legally and with due regard to your privacy.
Changes to our business
If ownership of all or part of our business changes or we undergo a reorganisation, we will transfer your personal information to the new owner or successor company so we can continue to provide our services.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We hold your personal information for as long as we have a legal or business reason to do so, which generally means as long as you remain our customer or as required to meet our legal obligations, resolve disputes or enforce our agreements. To fulfil our obligations to NHS, regulatory or similar bodies, health-related personal information may need to be retained for a period of time after you cease to be our customer. We will always store it securely and will not use it for any other purpose.
Securing your payment details online
We are so confident of the security on our website that we back every purchase with our assurance of security: in the event of unauthorised use of your credit or debit card, your card issuer may require you to pay the first £50 but we will cover your liability up to that amount provided that the unauthorised use of your card was on purchases made at our website and resulted from no fault of your own. You must notify your card provider of the unauthorised usage in accordance with its reporting rules and procedures.
We may update it from time to time so we recommend that you check back here occasionally. If we make changes we think may affect you significantly, particularly if they could have an impact on the choices you have made about marketing, we'll provide you with a prominent notice by the most appropriate medium so you know about the changes before they happen.
Staying in control of your information
We respect the fact that your personal information is your information, and we'll make it easy for you to update or change your personal details or marketing permissions. Please help us to help you by letting us know if your contact details change or if you spot any errors in the information we hold about you.